Whitepapers to demonstrate the value of your healthcare offering
When it comes to marketing materials for the healthcare industry, these can be really dry and unengaging. With Therapeutic Goods Administration Codes to abide by and a requirement to align materials with Global branding, there is a risk of losing your audience before they have even struck up a conversation with you.
Time-poor hospital and laboratory directors need to make tricky purchasing decisions, so make this task as easy as possible for them.
Whitepapers may sound bland. Sure, you might have been handed one of these at a conference and immediately put it in the bin. However, whitepapers can be turned into appealing pieces of marketing content that return on investment.
Medical companies are particularly suited to whitepapers. Usually, the offering is complex, high value, involves multiple decision makers, and there is a high decision consequence. There are a lot of factors that purchasers need to consider. Take a look at our work for Philips and Executive Health Solutions, both selling high-value health products and services.
In healthcare marketing, whitepapers educate an audience about a particular product or service. They are written to solve the problems your potential customer is facing. HubSpot says “the goal of a whitepaper is to inform and persuade based on facts and evidence, not tell the world why people need to buy your product right now”. Your whitepaper should tell the story of your product and include exciting data and facts.
HubSpot recommend targeting the whitepaper at those customers who are in the Awareness or Consideration stage of their buyer’s journey. Whitepapers are only going to be interesting to prospective customers. Therefore, it is worth investing in the quality of this material for when you have their attention. This document is representing your company.
THE BUYER’S JOURNEY AND CONTENT
The key to writing a good whitepaper is to have the target customer in mind. Does it answer their purchasing decision questions? Does it contain enough evidence-based information?
Another tip is to involve local therapy area VIPs. Testimonials from local hospitals, healthcare professionals or laboratories is a reassurance for potential customers. Don’t we all need a seal of approval before making a purchase? Localising the whitepaper to the Australian market also gives potential customers FOMO, as they are not yet using your amazing product whereas competitors or peers are.
Print whitepapers should be as visual as possible, otherwise they will just be ‘another handout’.
- Beautiful photography is required, demonstrating the key characteristics of your product.
- Illustrations can quickly translate complex key messages into digestible visual attributes. Involving a designer experienced in creating healthcare materials is crucial to not lose your audience along the way.
In the time of COVID-19, when fewer people are meeting face-to-face, we encourage our customers to develop digital whitepapers. There are advantages to making whitepapers digital:
- Optimise your whitepaper with video featuring Key Opinion Leaders talking about the product and its benefits. Video can say so much in so few words. We always recommend that our healthcare customers think about how they can tell their story through this medium.
- Typically, digital whitepapers require an email address for download, making them great gated content for capturing leads. Host the whitepaper on your product website, and make sure you let your audience know it exists.
- If you are making your whitepaper digital, why not make it interactive?
Finally, make the whitepaper as shareable as possible. Your new business lead may use it to make the case for your product within their organisation.
And remember: the supporting visuals and graphics don’t need to stay confined to your infographic! Repurpose the contents for blog or social media posts, website assets, and media stories.
From pharma, to IVD, to med tech and healthcare services, the entire health industry can benefit from a tool as simple as a whitepaper.
London Agency has experience putting together whitepapers for the healthcare industry. Get in touch to discuss how your offering could be showcased in a whitepaper.